Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Finally made the Leap

Well, that was it! I finally made the leap to emigrate to Canada. Submitted my application for skilled worker last June 30. From my research, it would take around 48 months to process. Here is what I did.

  • Ask your friends who have been approved how they did it. Chances are they went through the difficult process of getting all the required documents such as diplomas, employment certification, bank statement, police clearances, language proficiency tests, etc.
  • Good news, starting 2006, there is now a simplified application process where you just fill up the application form, and pay the fees. the documents will be required only after the embassy has evaluated your application and deem you a potential immigrant.
  • Find out all about this through their website. http://www.cic.gc.ca/ . Note that there is an embassy specific visa instruction on how to pay the fees and where to drop your application.

Funny thing that after I submitted my application, my biking buddy told me was already leaving for the US in 6 months as an immigrant. Turns out his wife was petitioned by his wife's sister.

I also have an officemate that is expecting to be called by the embassy in 1 or 2 years time.

Well I hope I can pass the medical when the time comes. I'm really looking forward to a new beginning in another country. 47 months and counting.

No comments: