Monday, June 9, 2008

To Immigrate or not to immigrate

To Immigrate or not to immigrate? that is the question.

Lately in the company I work for, it seems a lot have availed of the mapower reduction program to immigrate overseas, mostly to Canada. One couple I know are both managers yet they still want to migrate. Beats me, but I think its not the money anymore. I think they want a new environment or a new form of government. My own secretary now works in New Zealand.

I was testing out the Canadian point system, and I scored a really high 85 out of a passing 65. A lot of questions arised:

  • will my children want to live there?
  • will we like the cold weather?
  • what will happen to our ancestral house in QC?
  • who will look after my parents? especially my dad who is still recovering from prostate cancer.
  • should I go alone first?
  • can I petition my parents?
  • will I pass the medical in the first place?

Man, I have to think this through. Its made more difficult with the 65K application fee alone. I would also need around 940K show money, if it happens I get approved.

I heard it now only takes around two years processing time.

No comments: